Issue Fifty-Two

Greetings, and welcome to The /x/ Files, the weekly news digest for 4chan’s Paranormal board. Every Sunday, we take a quick snapshot of the mysterious world around us and bring it, in an easily readable magazine format, to the board. I am The Editor, the anonymous creator of this idea and collector of the news that will be following below. In the interests of legitimacy, I will be using a secure tripcode to post the thread; once the posts are completed, I will take the tripcode off and return to my anonymity.

Heyyy, my power went out again today! Oh well, derp a derp. HAVE A SPECIAL ISSUE
Table of Contents:

1: Paranormal News of the Week
2: The /x/ Files One Year Anniversay
3: Radio Show Roundup
4: Paranormal Podcasts
5: Editor’s Note

Paranormal News of the Week
Rare Moon Occurence for the First Time in 70 Years

A supermoon, which sees the Moon appearing unusually big and bright in the sky, is a relatively common lunar event which takes place when a full moon occurs at its closest point to the Earth. This month’s supermoon however is set to be the biggest and brightest in almost seven decades. The reason for this is down to the elliptical nature of the Moon’s orbit. When the Moon is at its closest to us this is known as the perigee and when it is furthest away this is called the apogee. When the Sun, Moon and Earth all line up at the same time however this is known as a syzygy.

“When perigee-syzygy of the Earth-moon-sun system occurs and the moon is on the opposite side of the Earth from the sun, we get a perigee moon or more commonly, a supermoon!” NASA wrote. “On November 14th, it becomes full within about two hours of perigee – arguably making it an extra-supermoon. The full moon of November 14th is not only the closest full moon of 2016, but also the closest full moon to date in the 21st century. The full moon won’t come this close to Earth again until November 25th, 2034.”

The moon will become full at 1:52 PM GMT on November 14th. If you live in the UK, you should be able to see the moon later that evening. Be sure to get somewhere nice and dark, away from the city lights, if possible, and try and look for reference points which you can use to gaze at the moon – like the horizon or trees.

Full Story:

The /x/ Files One Year Anniversay
So it’s been a full year of The /x/ Files. I’ve read thousands of news stories, dozens of articles, way too many podcast and C2C synopses, and enough comments, both good and bad, to shake a yeti paw at. I’ve watched Art Bell and Hoagie come back on the paranormal radar, then just as quickly sink beneath the surface. I’ve seen podcasts get huge, or fail miserably. I’ve watched /x/ for a full year, too. Have I helped make the board a better place? I’d like to think so. Not half the dent I hoped I would make a year ago, but enough that I don’t think I’ll be stopping.

To be honest, ever since I hit the six month mark, I’ve been toying with the idea of ending my run at a full 52 issues. One full year of giving back to /x/ for all the interesting shit I’ve read and seen here over the nine years I’ve been lurking here. I’d just close up shop, sign off, and return to my anonymity for the final time. And that notion has lingered, tantalizingly, in the back of my head, giving me an out for when I’m tired from working all week and I have to rush an issue, or when there’s fuck all for paranormal news and I had to scrape something interesting to read out of the bottom of the barrel, or when the thread hit page 10 within hours of posting it and I gotta self-bump it, or when the trolls and haters come into the thread and start giving me rations of shit. Who am I really doing this for? I’d keep asking myself. This thing hasn’t blown up like I wanted it to. Nobody’s followed through on their offers to contribute. I’ve been doing this alone, week in and week out, with practically nothing to show for it. Why not give up? Why not pack it in, say, “Fuck the world, I gave it a better try than anyone else has,” and go do something more productive with my time? The RP threads and the succubus threads and the garbage threads haven’t disappeared or even seemed to decline.

But, then I remind myself that I’m better than that. I’m tenacious. I’m stubborn. I don’t give up until I am absolutely assured of failure and my morale has been completely shredded. I’ve watched others come and go, give up too easily, not produce reliable content. Where’s MothDan and his ‘weekly videos’ now? Where’s the /x/ Podcast? Where is anybody except for me? The only thing that kept me from posting an issue was a natural disaster, and that was only because my power was out all weekend. Nobody, not a single person on /x/ can say they’ve followed through, like clockwork, the way I have, since the fucking board was created. And I will wear that badge with pride, as long as I choose to keep doing this. I succeeded where all my peers have failed. And I will continue to succeed.

As a bonus, and because I couldn’t figure out what the fuck else to put in this special issue, here I will include my favorite conspiracy theories, in order from greatest to least. Because I’m just as batshit as the rest of you. Haha!
My Top 5 Favorite Conspiracy Theories
1: The Titanic/Olympic Switch
One of the most controversial theories about the sinking of the Titanic was put forward by Robin Gardiner in his book, “Titanic: The Ship That Never Sank?” In it, Gardiner draws on several events and coincidences that occurred in the months, days, and hours leading up to the sinking of the Titanic, and concludes that the ship that sank was in fact Titanic’s sister ship Olympic, disguised as Titanic, as an insurance scam by her owners, the International Mercantile Marine Group, controlled by American financier J.P. Morgan that had acquired the White Star Line in 1902.

Olympic was the slightly older sister of Titanic, built alongside the more famous vessel but launched in October 1910. Her exterior profile was nearly identical to Titanic, save for minor details such as the number of portholes on the forward C decks of the ships, the spacing of the windows on the B decks, and the forward section of the A deck promenade on Titanic that had been enclosed only a few weeks before she set sail on her ill-fated maiden voyage. Both ships were built with linoleum floors, but shortly before she was due to set sail J. Bruce Ismay, managing director of the White Star Line, inexplicably ordered the floors aboard Titanic carpeted over.

On 20 September 1911, the Olympic was involved in a collision with the Royal Navy Warship HMS Hawke in the Brambles Channel in Southampton Water while under the command of a harbour pilot. The two ships were close enough to each other that Olympic’s motion drew the Hawke into her aft starboard side, causing extensive damage to the liner – both above and below its waterline (HMS Hawke was fitted with a re-inforced ‘ram’ below the waterline, purposely designed to cause maximum damage to enemy ships). An Admiralty inquiry assigned blame to the Olympic, despite numerous eyewitness accounts to the contrary.

Gardiner’s theory plays out in this historical context. Olympic was found to be at blame in the collision (which, according to Gardiner, had damaged the central turbine’s mountings and bent the keel, giving the ship a slight permanent list to port). Because of this finding, White Star’s insurers Lloyd’s of London allegedly refused to pay out on the claim. White Star’s flagship would also be out of action during the extensive repairs, and the Titanic’s completion date, which was already behind schedule due to Olympic’s return to the yard after her loss of a propeller blade, would have to be delayed. All this would amount to a serious financial loss for the company. Gardiner proposes that, to make sure at least one vessel would be earning money, the badly damaged Olympic was patched up and then converted to become the Titanic. The real Titanic when complete would then quietly enter service as the Olympic.

The Titanic indeed had a list to port leaving Southampton. Inadequate trimming of cargo and bunkers would likely result in such and the crew seems to have demonstrated a lack of proficiency on several occasions. A list to port was noted by several Titanic survivors.

Gardiner states that few parts of either ship bore the name, other than the easily removed lifeboats, bell, compass binnacle, and name plates. Everything else was standard White Star issue and was interchangeable between the two ships, and other vessels in the White Star fleet. While all other White Star Line Ships had their name engraved into the hull, the Titanic alone had its name riveted over top. In recent pictures of the wreck depicting a spot where two riveted plates that had spelled Titanic fell off, the letters MP appear to be stamped into the hull.

The plan, Gardiner suggests, was to dispose of the Olympic, which had allegedly been damaged beyond economic repair in a way that would allow White Star to collect the full insured value of a brand new ship. He supposes that the seacocks were to be opened at sea to slowly flood the ship. If numerous ships were stationed nearby to take off the passengers, the shortage of lifeboats would not matter as the ship would sink slowly and the boats could make several trips to the rescuers.

Gardiner uses as evidence the length of Titanic’s sea trials. Olympic’s trials in 1910 took two days, including several high speed runs, but Titanic’s trials reportedly only lasted for one day, with (Gardiner alleges) no working over half-speed. Gardiner says this was because the patched-up hull could not take any long periods of high speed. Perhaps this was due to the fact that Titanic as a nearly identical twin sister of the Olympic was expected to handle exactly the same, or perhaps the Board of Trade inspectors were in on the scheme.

Tantalizingly, many of the richest and most prestigious names in early 20th century society were booked onto the Titanic, and yet most unexpectedly canceled their trips in short order. JP Morgan, the owner of the Titanic, was due to travel on the ship’s maiden voyage, but cancelled his trip a few days before the departure, claiming illness. A New York Times reporter discovered this to be a lie; Morgan was actually seen perfectly well with his mistress in France on the day Titanic sank. Industrialist Henry Clay Frick and his wife, banker Horace J. Harding, and billionaire George Washington Vanderbilt – all connected to Morgan, were amongst several other prominent figures who cancelled at the last minute.
2: The Fukushima Cover-Up
Fukushima’s still radiating, self-perpetuating, immeasurable, and limitless. Everyone is trying to sweep it under the rug, just because it happened to Japan and not Communist Russia, despite it being an equally large or even greater disaster than Chernobyl.

Fukushima will likely go down in history as the biggest cover-up of the 21st Century. Governments and corporations are not leveling with citizens about the risks and dangers. Tens of thousands of Fukushima residents remain in temporary housing more than four years after the horrific disaster of March 2011. Some areas on the outskirts of Fukushima have officially reopened to former residents, but many of those former residents are reluctant to return home because of widespread distrust of government claims that it is okay and safe.

Dr. Helen Caldicott is co-founder of Physicians for Social Responsibility, and author of “Crisis Without End: The Medical and Ecological Consequences of the Fukushima Nuclear Catastrophe.” For over four decades Dr. Caldicott has been the embodiment of the anti-nuclear banner. In late 2014, she gave a lecture about Fukushima in Seattle, Washington.

Fukushima is literally a time bomb in quiescence; it is not even close to being under control. According to Dr. Caldicott, “It’s still possible that Tokyo may have to be evacuated, depending upon how things go….One hundred tons of terribly hot radioactive lava has already gone into the earth or somewhere within the container vessels, which are all cracked and broken.”

As the disaster happened, enormous levels of radiation hit Tokyo. The highest radiation detected in the Tokyo Metro area was in Saitama with cesium radiation levels detected at 919,000 becquerel (Bq) per square meter, a level almost twice as high as Chernobyl’s “permanent dead zone evacuation limit of 500,000 Bq.” For that reason, Dr. Caldicott strongly advises against travel to Japan and recommends avoiding Japanese food. After the Fukushima blow up, ambient levels of radiation in Washington State went up 40,000 times above normal, but according to Dr. Caldicott, the U.S. media does not cover the “ongoing Fukushima mess.”

Dr. Caldicott ended her speech in 2014 by saying, “In Fukushima, it is not over. Everyday, four hundred tons of highly radioactive water pours into the Pacific and heads towards the U.S. Because the radiation accumulates in fish, we get that too. The U.S. government is not testing the water, not testing the fish, and not testing the ambient air. Also, people in Japan are eating radiation every day….Rainwater washes over the nuclear cores into the Pacific. There is no way they can get to those cores, men die, robots get fried. Fukushima will never be solved. Meanwhile, people are still living in highly radioactive areas.”

Seiichi Mizuno, a former member of Japan’s House of Councillors, in March 2015 said: “The biggest problem is the melt-through of reactor cores….We have groundwater contamination….The idea that the contaminated water is somehow blocked in the harbor is especially absurd. It is leaking directly into the ocean. There’s evidence of more than 40 known hotspot areas where extremely contaminated water is flowing directly into the ocean….We face huge problems with no prospect of solution.”

The International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War gave a report in 2014, stating, “The Fukushima nuclear disaster is far from over. Despite the declaration of ‘cold shutdown’ by the Japanese government in December 2011, the crippled reactors have not yet achieved a stable status….Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) is struggling with an enormous amount of contaminated water, which continues to leak into the surrounding soil and sea. Large quantities of contaminated cooling water are accumulating at the site. Failures in the makeshift cooling systems are occurring repeatedly. The discharge of radioactive waste will most likely continue for a long time.

“Both the damaged nuclear reactors and the spent fuel ponds contain vast amounts of radioactivity and are highly vulnerable to further earthquakes, tsunamis, typhoons and human error. Catastrophic releases of radioactivity could occur at any time and eliminating this risk will take many decades….It is impossible at this point in time to come up with an exact prognosis of the effects that the Fukushima nuclear disaster will have on the population in Japan.”

Prof. Hiroaki Koide, Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute, April 25, 2015: “Although the Chernobyl accident was a terrible accident, it only involved one reactor. With Fukushima, we have the minimum of 3 reactors that are emitting dangerous radiation. The work involved to deal with this accident will take tens of years, hundreds of years. It could be that some of the fuel could actually have gone through the floor of the containment vessel as well.”
3: Tamam Shud
The Tamam Shud case, also known as the Mystery of the Somerton Man, is an unsolved case of an unidentified man found dead at 6:30 AM, December 1st, 1948, on Somerton beach, just south of Adelaide, South Australia. It is named after a phrase, tamám shud, meaning “ended” or “finished” in Persian, printed on a scrap of paper found months later in the fob pocket of the man’s trousers. This scrap had been torn from the final page of a copy of “Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam” – a collection of poems attributed to the 12th Century poet Omar Khayyám.

Following a public appeal by police, the copy of the Rubaiyat from which the page had been torn was located. On the inside back cover of the book, detectives were able to read – in indentations from handwriting – a local telephone number, another unidentified number and a text that resembled an encrypted message. The text has not been deciphered or interpreted in a way that satisfies authorities on the case.

The case has been considered, since the early stages of the police investigation, “One of Australia’s most profound mysteries.” There has been intense speculation ever since regarding the identity of the victim, the cause of his death and the events leading up to it. Public interest in the case remains significant for several reasons: the death occurring at a time of heightened international tensions, following the beginning of the Cold War; the apparent involvement of a secret code; the possible use of an undetectable poison; and the inability of authorities to identify the dead man.

In addition to intense public interest in Australia during the late 1940s and early 1950s, the Tamam Shud case also attracted international attention. South Australian Police consulted their counterparts overseas and distributed information about the dead man internationally, in an effort to identify him. International circulation of a photograph of the man and details of his fingerprints yielded no positive identification. For example, in the United States, the FBI was unable to match the dead man’s fingerprint with prints taken from files of domestic criminals. Scotland Yard was also asked to assist with the case, but could not offer any insights.
4: The Dyatlov Pass Incident
Deep within the northern part of the 1,500 mile­long Ural mountain range in western Russia lies Kholat Syakhl, a relatively inconsequential mountain. Standing at 3,598 feet tall, whose name means “Mountain of the Dead” in the local dialect, it would be a mere footnote in the annals of mountaineering if it wasn’t for one event which forever engraved it, and a specific geological feature of it, as one of the great mysteries of the 20th century. For Kholat Syakhl is the location of the infamous Dyatlov Pass.

On January 25th, 1959, a group led by 23­year old Igor Dyatlov was formed for a ski trek across the northern Urals in the Russian state of Sverdlovsk. Consisting of eight men and two women,
the goal of the expedition was to reach Otorten, a mountain 10 KM north of the site of the incident. The trip was for training purposes, preparing themselves for an even more ambitious
trip to the Arctic regions in the coming months; all ten members of the party were experienced mountaineers.

The group arrived at Vizhai, the last inhabited settlement in the area, on January 25th. Two days later, they started their journey towards Otorten, but the very next day, one of the men fell ill and was forced to return. The remaining seven men and two women chose to continue. Four days later, on February 1st, after crossing frozen lakes and vast uninhabited areas, the group arrived at the base of Kholat Syakhl and began to prepare for climbing. The following day, February 2nd, the hikers started to move through the pass. They planned to get over the pass and make camp the next night on the opposite side, but because of snowstorms and decreasing visibility, they lost their direction and hiked towards the top of the mountain. When they realized their mistake, the group decided to stop and set up camp, rather than moving downhill.

Before leaving, Dyatlov had agreed he would send a telegram to their sports club as soon as the group returned to Vizhai. It was expected that this would happen no later than February 12th, but no message came. As more and more time passed, the families of the members became progressively concerned. A few days off course was typical for such expeditions, but when more than a week slipped by with not a single message or distress call, family members demanded a search and rescue operation be put into action. When they failed to produce any results on the ground, local military helicopters were sent out to search for the group.

On February 26th, the air patrols found the campsite. There they found a large tent that the entire team presumably shared, that appeared to have been cut apart from within, with all the group’s belongings left behind. Sets of footprints led away from the campsite, leading down toward the edge of a nearby woods to the north­east. At the forest’s edge, underneath a large cedar tree, the searchers found the visible remains of a small fire, along with the first two bodies, shoeless and dressed only in their underwear. Between the cedar and the camp the searchers found three more corpses, who seemed to have died in poses suggesting that they were attempting to return to the tent. Among these three was Dyatlov himself, one hand clung firmly to a nearby tree, the other hand wrapped around his head in a protective manner. It wouldn’t be until two months later, on May 4th, that the remaining members would be found under thirteen feet of snow, in a ravine farther in the woods.

An inquest started immediately after finding the first five bodies. A medical examination found no injuries which might have led to their deaths, and it was eventually concluded that they had all died of hypothermia. An examination of the four bodies which were found in May, however, were much more mysterious. Three of the hikers had fatal injuries: one had major skull damage, and two had major chest fractures. According to the medical examiner, the force required to cause such damage would have been equivalent to a car crash and that they could not have been caused by another human being, “Because the force of the blows had been too strong.”

Additionally, the bodies had no external wounds related to the fractures, as if they had been subjected to a high level of pressure. Other mysteries persisted; although the temperature was around −22° F with a storm blowing, the dead were only partially dressed. Some of them had only one shoe, while others wore only socks. Some were found wrapped in ripped clothes that seemed to have been cut from those who were already dead. They all left the campsite voluntarily; and high doses of radioactive contamination were found on the clothes of a few victims. Taking into consideration the digestion of food in several team member’s bodies, investigators were able to conclude that they’d eaten a meal sometime around 7pm on the night of the 2nd, and that whatever had led to their deaths happened between 9pm and midnight leading into February 3rd. Several family members, at the funerals of the deceased, would eventually claim that the bodies of the dead bore a rather odd orange color. The hair of the dead has also lost its pigmentation, turning a dull grey.

Lev Ivanov, the lead Soviet investigator on the case, interviewed a group of nearby hikers who were in the area when the incident supposedly occurred. A respectable thirty­two miles away, the hikers reported a cluster of “strange orange spheres” in the sky that night. This was also reported by other witnesses in the area for the next few months after the event. Ivanov, in his later years, admitted that he himself believed that the orange spheres in the sky may have been the cause of the Dyatlov team’s demise, or at least had something to do with it. One of the officers involved in the investigation stated that, after his team reported that they had seen flying spheres, he then received direct orders from high­ranking regional officials to dismiss the inquest. At the time the verdict was that the group members all died because of a compelling natural force. The inquest officially ceased in May 1959, only a few short weeks after the last four bodies were discovered, as a result of the absence of a guilty party. The files were sent to a secret archive, and the files only became available thirty years later, in the 1990s.

Various theories have been brought forth, from UFOs, to yeti­like creatures, to top secret government projects being tested in the area, or the possibility that the group had mistaken harsh winds or infrasound to an avalanche. However, one would suspect that these knowledgeable mountaineers and their leader would have been fully aware that no avalanche activity was in sight. As for government experiments, this can’t be completely ruled out, as many investigators have alluded that teams were sent in to investigate long before the camp was said to have originally been discovered; an extra pair of skies, and fabric from a military­like uniform had been found near the campsite. But none of this can irrefutably be proven, once again leaving us to whirl around in a maelstrom of conjecture in terms of a possible answer to this tragedy. Inevitably, the only people who can say for certain what happened that night at Dyatlov Pass are the ones who were there…and they’re not giving up their secrets.
5: The Mandela Effect
One type of memory glitch that has generated a lot of Internet buzz in recent years is called the “Mandela Effect.” In simplest terms, the Mandela Effect is an instance of collective misremembering. Examples include lines from famous movies that everyone gets wrong (e.g., Humphrey Bogart’s saying “Play it again, Sam” in Casablanca), erroneous dates and numbers (apparently many people answer “52” when asked how many states there are in the U.S.), and historical misconceptions (are you among those who recall learning in school that cotton gin inventor Eli Whitney was black?). The term “Mandela Effect” was coined by paranormal consultant Fiona Broome, who has written on her web site that she first became aware of the phenomenon after discovering that she shared a particular false memory — that South African human rights activist and president Nelson Mandela died in prison during the 1980s (he actually died in 2013) — with many other people.

No single example of the Mandela Effect has generated more online buzz than that of the children’s book series and animated TV show The Berenstain Bears. Quite a few people who grew up with the series, it turns out, remember the title being The Berenstein Bears, with the name ending in “ein” instead of “ain” (with some even going to go so far as to maintain that the fictional bears’ surname was changed along the way to make it “less Jewish”).

One theory based on principles of quantum mechanics holds that people who experience the Mandela Effect may have “slid” between parallel realities (à la the science fiction TV series Sliders). After growing up in a universe where it was “Berenstein” Bears, for example, some people one day woke up to find themselves in an alternate universe with “Berenstain” Bears. Another theory posits that unbeknownst to ourselves, we all exist within something resembling a “holodeck” (a device in the world of the Star Trek series that creates a virtual reality experience for recreational purposes). On this model, apparent memory glitches are actually software glitches that cause inconsistencies in our perception of reality.

A leading psychological theory holds that memory is constructive, not reproductive — i.e., the brain builds memories out of various bits and pieces of information on the fly as opposed to playing them back like a recording. Memories aren’t pure. They can be distorted by any number of factors, including bias, association, imagination, and peer pressure. As for the Berenstain vs. Berenstein quandary, one explanation for the variant spelling is that names ending in “stein” are far more common than those ending in “stain.” People’s recollections are distorted by prior associations and expectations. Why do some people remember Nelson Mandela dying 30 years before he did? Perhaps it’s simply a case of two isolated bits of knowledge — that Nelson Mandela spent a long time in prison and that he’s dead — being pieced together into a false memory in the absence of an actual recollection of the announcement of his death.

Coast to Coast AM with George Noory
Monday: Election Timetraks/ Past Lives

In the first half, futurist Paul Guercio and physicist George Hart of the Merlin Project spoke about their software-based forecasting technology in relation to the ‘Timetraks’ of both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, and what could be in store for election day. In the latter half, professional past-life researcher Joanne DiMaggio shared details and insights from the numerous past life regression sessions she’s conducted.
Tuesday: Election Night Special

Coast to Coast AM expanded to five full hours of coverage, as the US 2016 election results continued to pour in, and Donald Trump’s presidential victory became a reality.
Wednesday: Health & Supplements/ Future of the Car

In the first half, registered pharmacist and nutritionist Ben Fuchs shared alternative health concepts, and offered tips on supplements and healthy changes to one’s diet and lifestyle. In the latter half, the host of Popular Science Radio Alan Taylor discussed the future of the automobile and its intersection with technology, as well as classic cars and design.
Thursday: Secrets of Ancient Egypt/ Intuitive Wisdom

In the first half, author and lecturer John Anthony West discussed his revolutionary reinterpretation of the ancient civilization of Egypt which challenges the timeline that had previously been accepted as dogma. In the latter half, author and spiritual teacher Kala Ambrose shared her psychic insights as well as her methods for tuning into intuitive wisdom and higher level communications.
Friday: Veterans’ Care

Author, near death experiencer, and hospice volunteer, Dannion Brinkley discussed the state of America’s veterans and what needs to be done to better honor those who have served the country. Open Lines followed.

Paranormal Podcasts
Last Podcast on the Left: The Lobster Boy Murders

Join us today as we explore the world of the American carnival through the lens of the murder by and the murder of the 20th century’s most famous sideshow act: Grady Stiles Jr, the Lobster Boy!

Paranormal Podcast: The Haunting of Asylum 49

Richard Estep and Cami Andersen join to talk to us about a haunted hospital. In part two, Bill VandenBush joins us to talk about his near death experience.

The Paracast: November 13th, 2016

A special “open mic” episode featuring Gene, forum moderator Goggs Mackay, and old school paranormal broadcaster and Paracast announcer Bob Zanotti.

Mysterious Universe: 16.18

Joshua Cutchin returns to the show to discuss reports of supernatural scents and otherworldy odors from his new book ‘The Brimstone Deceit’.
Cutchin’s stellar research uncovers clear patterns of smells that emerge from a variety of paranormal experiences, and questions the meaning behind these odors on the fringe of human experience.
We also cover some worrying psychic predictions on the near future and one man’s encounter with a spacefaring hermit.

Expanded Perspectives: The Boggy Creek Monster

On this episode of Expanded Perspectives we talk with documentary film maker Seth Breedlove about his latest movie “The Boggy Creek Monster”. As well as some of his previous movies “The Minerva Monster” and “The Beast of Whitehall”. These documentary films are all made by “Small Town Monsters”. Small Town Monsters is an independent film series that explores lost and bizarre history around the United States.

The legend of the Boggy Creek Monster has long captivated the people of Fouke, Arkansas, a little town about 150 miles outside of Little Rock. It is said that Fouke is the first place that this cryptid was spotted. According to legend, the Boggy Creek Monster stands between seven and eight feet tall on two feet and weighs close to 300 pounds. Its chest, legs and arms are covered with thick, long hair.

The first reported sightings go all the way back to 1834, when it is said that the large, hairy “wild man” was roaming in Arkansas. In the 1900s, sightings around Fouke became more frequent with residents spotting the monster more than 40 times in 1997 alone. It has been suggested that the animal is nocturnal, but a hunter reported a sighting in broad daylight in the Sulfur River WIldlife Area near Fouke in 2000.

The Boggy Creek Monster has been subject of at least four different films, beginning with 1973’s The Legend of Boggy Creek. This movie, centered around Bobby Ford’s supposed encounter with the beast, played in drive-in theaters around the country and introduced millions to the legend that had never heard of this creature before. Mostly shot on location in Fouke, with additional scenes filmed in Texarkana and Shreveport, Louisiana, the film also served as a major economic boost to the region; many cast members were locals or nearby college students.

The famous encounter that the film is based on occurred in 1971. Bobby and Elizabeth Ford claimed that the Boggy Creek Monster attacked their home late on the night of May 1. The monster, Elizabeth said, reached through her screen window, but was chased away by Bobby and Dan, his brother, who had just returned from a hunting trip. Unsatisfied, the monster returned shortly after midnight and tossed Bobby to the ground, the Fords say. Bobby was taken to the St. Michael Hospital in Texarkana and treated for large gashes across his back; he was suffering from mild shock when he arrived, according to newspaper reports (there were several papers covering the legend around this time). No traces of blood were found on the Ford’s home, but three-toed footprints were found near the house, scratches found on the porch, and damage sustained to a window and the house’s siding.

Astonishing Legends: Mothman, Part 3

At 5:00 p.m. on December 15, 1967, the Silver Bridge which connected Point Pleasant, West Virginia, and Gallipolis, Ohio, collapsed. Being rush hour in mid-December, the bridge was full of commuters on their way home from work and holiday shopping trips. The collapse sent 32 vehicles into the frigid waters of the Ohio river and 46 people lost their lives, with 2 bodies never to be found. The cause was as prosaic and understandable as it was tragic – a minute defect causing stress corrosion in a suspension eye-bar. However, what we may never understand is a connection some claim between the collapse and the first sightings of the Mothman, widely thought to be 13 months previously, to the day. Was there a warning that no one could comprehend? Even if a warning could be interpreted by someone who was starting to put all these strange puzzle pieces together, would their findings even be believed? Could this tragedy have been prevented, or was it inevitable? It might behoove us all to start taking notice, as correlations to sightings of bizarre creatures and catastrophes around the world continue to this day.

Blurry Photos Podcast: Pliny the Elder

The time has come for the Roman showman himself, Pliny the Elder! A moderately-known figure from Roman history, Pliny the Elder led a fascinating life and often comes up in Forteana because of his writings. The boys of Blurry Photos go over his life and accomplishments, including his most famous work, Natural History. Was he just a wandering madman who complied a list of fantasies? Or was he a savvy statesman who diligently made use of his intellect? Flora and Stecco discuss his role in shaping knowledge, and go over some choice excerpts from his work. Grab your sandals, saddle, and javelin, with this episode you’ll be gladius you did! (A Summary, Historical Look, Natural History Text)

Stuff They Don’t Want You to Know Podcast: What’s Happening at the Dakota Access Pipeline?

As of 2014, North Dakota has a population under 500,000 — so you, like many others, may be wondering why over 1.6 million people used social media to check in to the state’s Standing Rock reservation. Listen in to learn more about the protests over the Dakota Access Pipeline, along with allegations of media suppression, state-sponsored violence and more.

Bizarre States: Tiki Surf Witches

Bowser and Jess are back this week to talk about a mysterious noise in Alaska, an update on Robert Durst and Tiki Surf Witches!

The Higherside Chats Podcast: Joseph Farrell | Common Core & The Cabal

Join The Higherside Chats podcast as host Greg Carlwood talks the education conspiracy of common core and 9/11 with returning guest, Joseph Farrell.
The Earth has a rich history of control by vast interlocking networks of think tanks, multinational corporations, cabal secret society, esoteric orders, and hidden financiers all aimed at crafting society to their will and molding modern man as they see fit. And while the “conspiratorial baton” may have changed hands many times throughout history, guest Joseph Farrell has been tracking this over the course of several years and rejoins THC to help us better understand the world stage today.

The Dark Myths Collective:

We are a group of podcasters dedicated to producing high quality and emotionally power-packed listening experiences. While our shows span the full spectrum of genres from history to fiction to crime stories, what binds them together is that they explore the darker side. This allows you to cross genres and discover podcasts you might not have found.


Editor’s Note:

[Summary Goes Here]

Until Next Time


One thought on “Issue Fifty-Two”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s